Sally Thompshen, a 4th generation cottage owner greeted over 60 guests at the Des Plaines Public Library to talk about the history of the campground.
The Historic Methodist Campground had its beginnings in 1860 when a group of Methodist ministers and businessmen established an annual meeting along the Des Plaines River in Des Plaines, Illinois. Upwards of 10,000 people filled the groves for large camp meetings. Between 1865 and the late 1920s, more than 100 cottages and 14 public buildings were constructed. The campground was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2005. Today there are plans underway to revitalize the 36-acre compound including modern day Chautauqua programming that entertains and enlightens.